Frequently Asked Questions: Staff
- ESL Program
- Technology Help Services for Staff
- Technology Support for Students
- Payroll & Timesheets
- Work Related Injuries
Q: Can an English Language Learner be retained?
A: ELL students must not be retained in grade level because of their language skills. (Tennessee English as a Second Language Program Guide)
Lack of ability to read and write in English cannot be the basis for an F. It is against the law to fail a student because he/she is not proficient in English.(Office of Civil Rights OCR)
However if the regular education teacher AND the ESL teacher feel that a student has failed due to circumstances other than English (attendance or refusal to do modified at his/her level assignments), a student can receive a failing grade. (OCR)
If both the teacher and ESL teacher believe that retention is in the best interest of the child, the following steps must be completed:
- Parents will be notified when problems are identified and shall be informed periodically of remedial efforts and given progress reports. (Jefferson County School Board Policy 4.603)
- Documentation of all accommodations/modifications must be made available to assure that the student has had full access to the curriculum content within the context of his/her limited English. (OCR)
- Parents shall be informed in writing and shall be requested to participate in a conference at least nine (9) weeks before the end of the school year. (JCS Board Policy 4.603)
- Notification and information must be provided to parents in an “understandable and uniform format, and to the extent practicable, provided in a language that the parents can understand.” (No Child Left Behind Act, 2001)
Q: How do I get Technology Support for Student Devices?
Q: How do I know when to contact the Technology Department vs. the Instructional Technology team?
A: Use the Technology Help Services guidance below to help you determine if you should submit a School Dude Ticket for Technology Support or reach out to the Instructional Technology team,
Technology Help Services are available through Technology and Instructional Technology Departments. Use the following guidelines to determine which department may best suit your immediate need. The Technology Department is available to help with system and infrastructure issues and the Instructional Technology Department can help with usage and training needs. If you are unsure if you are experiencing a technical issue or need additional support with program/product usage, please submit a School Dude Ticket. The Technology Department will forward School Dude Tickets that are best supported by usage/instructional support to the Instructional Technology Department.
System/Infrastructure: Submit a School Dude Ticket
- Technology Systems
- Account Login
- Permissions Settings
- Data Risk
- Content Filtering
- Software Help
- Online Programs: BrainPOP, Tumblebook Library, Canvas, iReady, Odysseyware, Typing.com, etc
- Aspen: Gradebook, Attendance, Pages, Class Roster
- Office 365: Teams, Groups, OneDrive, People, Calendar, Email, Onenote & Class/Staff Notebook, PowerPoint, Sway, Etc,
- Troubleshooting Technical Issues
- Change Passwords
- Learn More about Technology Resources
- Microsoft Office 365
- Student Accounts (Classlink, Aspen, O365, etc.)
- Special Events
Q: How do I request help for a computer/technology problem?
A: Enter a ticket in School Dude IT Direct. Entering a ticket into School Dude IT Direct is the quickest way to get help with a technology related problem. You can enter the ticket yourself and track the progress online. The School Dude link is available in you Classlink Launchpad
Q: How do I change my computer password?
A: Log onto a Windows 10 or Windows 7 computer connected to the Jefferson County network. Once logged in you can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select change password. Enter your old password and then the new password you want to change it to. Passwords must be a minimum length of 8 characters and should contain at least three of the following: 1 capital letter, 1 lower case letter, 1 number, or 1 symbol.
Q: How do I change my email password?
A:Your computer and email password are the same. When you change you computer password you email password automatically update within a few minutes..
Q: Where can educators learn more about integrating technology into teaching and personalized learning practices?
A: Professional Development Opportunities are available through the Instructional Technology Department throughout the year in face-to-face, online, and blended learning sessions through the Instructional Technology Department. Educators may also contact Amy Sharp or Deedra Hillard for specific individual, small group, PLC, or school-wide training needs.
Q: Where can I find tools and resources for my classroom or family?
Q: How do I set up email groups/lists in Office 365?
A: Groups and lists are not the same.
Groups vs. Email Contact Lists in Office 365:
- Groups are used for collaboration projects, NOT for sending emails to predetermined groups of people.
- Contact Lists are used to send emails to predetermined groups of people.
Use the following steps to create Email Contact Lists in your Office 365 Account. For additional support link here to a step-by-step guide that includes images.
- Click on the Waffle and then People.
- Click on the down arrow next to "New" and select Contact List.
- You can then name the list and add members. Make sure to save when you finished.
- You then select this contct list and send email to the members.
Q: How can I access Classlink, the student and staff portal?
A: Classlink should launch automatically on student and staff devices. If not, you can use the Classlink icon located in the upper right corner of all school and district webpages or user the JCS-specific URL: https://launchpad.classlink.com/jcschools.
Students log in with their JCBOE credentials. Usernames do NOT include the Domain portion of the email, just the portion before the @. Check with your child's teacher for additional information.
The Classlink app is also available for iOS and Android devices. Simply search the app store for ClassLink and then select the Jefferson County Schools option.
Q: How long will it take for student accounts o be established once they are enrolled as a new student in the district?
A: Typically, all student accounts are created overnight if the student is enrolled before 3:30 pm.
If one or more of the student accounts are not created, submit a School Dude Direct Ticket that includes the student's name and the accounts that were not created.
Q: How do I get Technical Support for my students?
A: Read about the support paths for Traditional Learners and Distance Learners on the Digital Resources Page, under Student Technology Support. Remember that for Traditional Learners, teachers should use school-specific protocol for requesting technical support for student devices via School Dude or reach out to the Instructional Technology department (Deedra Hillard and Amy Sharp) for content support. Distance Learners may be directed to the Student Technology Support Request Form, located in the left sidebar of this page and on the Digital Resources Page.
Q: How can I access my paycheck stub?
Q: How do I complete my timesheet if I have overtime?
A: If your actual work hours are over 40 in a work week, your timesheet will alert you to submit an overtime request form for either compensation time or payment.
Q: What should I do if I am injured at the workplace?
A: Workers Compensation Procedure Guide: The school nurse will be our first point of contact. Each nurse will be responsible for following the proper procedures and sending accident reports to the Finance Office within the designated time as noted below. It is important to know that all forms must be completed in full or it may be cause for a delay in worker's compensation benefits to the injured party. Our primary directive is reporting each claim to TN Risk Management Trust in a timely manner.
What should be done if an injury occurs in the workplace.
Forms to be completed and sent to the Finance Office immediately after accident occurs are:
- Employer's First Report of Work Injury & Illness
- Form C-42G Employee's Choice of Physician
- form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent
- Athletic & Student Accident Form (student only)
Fax all forms to the finance Office at 865-397-4537
Procedures to follow are:
- Employee is to report all injuries immediately to employer (Nurse).
- Employer notification is required by law within 30 days of the date of injury. After 30 days, employee may be barred from seeking workers compensation benefits.
- The employer (Nurse) completes a First Report of Injury. Nurse sends the completed form to the Finance Office immediately.
- The employer (Finance Office) must file the form with TN Risk Management Trust within 24 hours of knowledge of the injury.
- Employer (Nurse offers the employee Form C-42G Employee Choice of Physician which is a panel of doctors for treatment. A signed Form C-42G Employee Choice of Physician must be completed, signed and dated.
- The employee selects one of the doctors, who becomes the authorized treating physician and provides treatment at the employer's expense. this completed form offers employer proof that the employee was offered a choice of physicians. A copy of the completed form must be provided to the employee. Nurse sends the original to the Finance Office.
- The employer (Finance Office) must keep the original form on file and upon request provide a copy to the Division of Workers' Compensation.
- Employer (Nurse) provides the employee with Form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent. This form allows us as the employer to obtain the medical notes for each doctor appointment.
- A completed Form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent is to be sent to the Finance Office to be kept on file
- For Student Injuries use the Athletic & Student Accident Form. Send completed for the the Finance Office.
COPIES OF ALL FORMS ARE LOCATED IN THE ACCIDENT & WORKERS COMPENSATION FOLDER IN JCS STAFF DOCUMENTS ON THE JCS PUBLIC MICROSOFT SHAREPOINT SITE.
Questions & feedback are directed to appropriate departments for follow-up. Call JCS Central office for immediate/urgent needs.