Frequently Asked Questions: Staff
- Addressing the School Board
- Chain of Command
- ESL Program
- Field Trips
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
- Payroll, Salary, & Timesheets
- Technology Help Services for Staff and Students
- School Support Organizations
- Work Related Injuries
- Termination of Employment
- Travel Expense Reimbursement
Q: What is the process for addressing the School Board?
To request to speak at a School Board Meeting, contact the Board Secretary, Ronda Sparks, via email at ContactUs@jcboe.net or phone at (865) 397-3194.
Sending written information to be included in the school board members’ packet would help the school board members be prepared to address the speaker’s topic. Packets go out to board members 5 days before the meeting.
While speakers are granted three minutes to talk, school board members may add the speaker’s topic to the agenda. If that is the case, more time may be given to the speaker to talk about the topic and answer questions.
School board members are happy to hear from all educational stakeholders and welcome individual phone calls and emails as well.
Q: What is the chain of command that should be followed?
A: Employees should address all concerns with their immediate supervisor. If the concern is not resolved or if the concern is about the immediate supervisor, the employee should contact the Human Resources department.
Q: Does the school system have an organizational chart?
A: Yes. The Jefferson County Schools Organizational Chart is posted in the staff information folders and linked below. The organizational chart does not reflect the chain of command.
Q: Can an English Language Learner be retained?
A: ELL students must not be retained in grade level because of their language skills. (Tennessee English as a Second Language Program Guide)
Lack of ability to read and write in English cannot be the basis for an F. It is against the law to fail a student because he/she is not proficient in English.(Office of Civil Rights OCR)
However if the regular education teacher AND the ESL teacher feel that a student has failed due to circumstances other than English (attendance or refusal to do modified at his/her level assignments), a student can receive a failing grade. (OCR)
If both the teacher and ESL teacher believe that retention is in the best interest of the child, the following steps must be completed:
- Parents will be notified when problems are identified and shall be informed periodically of remedial efforts and given progress reports. (Jefferson County School Board Policy 4.603)
- Documentation of all accommodations/modifications must be made available to assure that the student has had full access to the curriculum content within the context of his/her limited English. (OCR)
- Parents shall be informed in writing and shall be requested to participate in a conference at least nine (9) weeks before the end of the school year. (JCS Board Policy 4.603)
- Notification and information must be provided to parents in an “understandable and uniform format, and to the extent practicable, provided in a language that the parents can understand.” (No Child Left Behind Act, 2001).
Q: What is the Memorandum of Understanding and where can I find it?
The Jefferson County Board of Education and Professional Employees of the Jefferson County School System Memorandum of Understanding 2023-2026, developed under the provisions of the Professional Educators Collaborative Conferencing Act (PECCA) of 2021, is the product of meetings including representatives of the JCBOE Management Team and the Professional Employees Collaboration Team. Use the link below to access the full document.
Q: How can I access my paycheck stub?
Q: How do I complete my timesheet if I have overtime?
A: If your actual work hours are over 40 in a work week, your timesheet will alert you to submit an overtime request form for either compensation time or payment.
Q: Where can I find Salary and Performance Pay Information?
A: Visit the Salary and Evaluation Information page for details and links regarding Salaries and Performance Pay.
Q: 8. What is the system’s procedure regarding tenure?
A: Following is the JCS Procedure regarding tenure:
- When new teachers are hired, they are given tenure information in their new teacher notebook.
- In March, the director of schools receives a list of tenure candidates to review, and principals get a list of tenure candidates to review and recommend.
- In April, the school board receives the list of candidates that principals have approved. The school board reviews the lists and grants tenure to the approved candidates.
- The Human Resources department emails teachers that were approved for tenure to make them aware of their tenure status.
- Tenure FAQs on State Website
Q: What should I do if I am injured at the workplace?
A: Workers Compensation Procedure Guide: The school nurse will be our first point of contact. Each nurse will be responsible for following the proper procedures and sending accident reports to the Finance Office within the designated time as noted below. It is important to know that all forms must be completed in full or it may be cause for a delay in worker's compensation benefits to the injured party. Our primary directive is reporting each claim to TN Risk Management Trust in a timely manner.
What should be done if an injury occurs in the workplace.
Forms to be completed and sent to the Finance Office immediately after accident occurs are:
- Employer's First Report of Work Injury & Illness
- Form C-42G Employee's Choice of Physician
- form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent
- Athletic & Student Accident Form (student only)
Fax all forms to the finance Office at 865-397-4537
Procedures to follow are:
- Employee is to report all injuries immediately to employer (Nurse).
- Employer notification is required by law within 30 days of the date of injury. After 30 days, employee may be barred from seeking workers compensation benefits.
- The employer (Nurse) completes a First Report of Injury. Nurse sends the completed form to the Finance Office immediately.
- The employer (Finance Office) must file the form with TN Risk Management Trust within 24 hours of knowledge of the injury.
- Employer (Nurse offers the employee Form C-42G Employee Choice of Physician which is a panel of doctors for treatment. A signed Form C-42G Employee Choice of Physician must be completed, signed and dated.
- The employee selects one of the doctors, who becomes the authorized treating physician and provides treatment at the employer's expense. this completed form offers employer proof that the employee was offered a choice of physicians. A copy of the completed form must be provided to the employee. Nurse sends the original to the Finance Office.
- The employer (Finance Office) must keep the original form on file and upon request provide a copy to the Division of Workers' Compensation.
- Employer (Nurse) provides the employee with Form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent. This form allows us as the employer to obtain the medical notes for each doctor appointment.
- A completed Form C-31 Medical Waiver and Consent is to be sent to the Finance Office to be kept on file
- For Student Injuries use the Athletic & Student Accident Form. Send completed for the the Finance Office.
COPIES OF ALL FORMS ARE LOCATED IN THE ACCIDENT & WORKERS COMPENSATION FOLDER IN JCS STAFF DOCUMENTS ON THE JCS PUBLIC MICROSOFT SHAREPOINT SITE.
Q: What are the causes for which a teacher can be terminated?
A: A teacher may be dismissed or suspended due to: incompetence, inefficiency, neglect of duty, unprofessional conduct, and insubordination. TN Law linked here.
Q: Where can I find the Travel Expense Reimbursement Form?
A: The Travel Expense Reimbursement Form is available in the Fiscal Management subfolder of Board Policy Document and Forms on the JCS Public Folders Site.
Q: Where can I find the Per Diem Rates for Meals and Incidentals?
A: Travel reimbursement rates vary depending upon the location of the travel. Meals and incidentals will be reimbursed based on the guidelines and rates set forth in the Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration Comprehensive Travel Regulations. Use this quick link to visit the U.S. General Services Administration website ad determine your travel per diem rate: www.gsa.gov/travel-resources.
Questions & feedback are directed to appropriate departments for follow-up. Call JCS Central office for immediate/urgent needs.